Sunday, October 16, 2011

QR Codes


I haven't blogged in awhile but I figured now seems like the best time since I've got a lot of things on my mind. Most of good.

One of the things that I have been thinking about since Robb Modica brought it up was the use of QR codes. You know thse funky bar code squares you've been seeing around time? Well those are not one of those magic eye puzzles or decoration, it is a deliberate ploy by companies into generating traffic to their website.

Pretty smart huh?

But I know you're next question is how do that do that? Easy by way of your smart phone. It comes as no surprise that many of those in the 18-24 and 25-30 age brackets don't just have an Android, iPhone or Blackberry but they are always on it. Well marketing experts tapped into this idea, creating a little square barcode that automatically directs you to the company's website.

This barcode is known a a Quick Response code or simply QR code.

Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C. picked up on this piece of technology, using it to "replace" game-day programs and drive more fans to their website. Also it helps the "Go Green" initiative by reducing the amount of paper and ink that is used. Sports Information Director Sam Atkinson noted that you can not cut people off cold turkey with paper programs so they still make a limited number of those but it is clearly evident what they want their fans to use.

When I first came across the email from Robb, I filed it away in my folder adequately titled "Robb" but the more I thought of it, the more I liked the idea. Hey our market is the 18-25 year olds plus their parents and all of them have smart phones.

Everything from rosters to updated statistics and schedule page for both schools can be accessed through one simple page on our website. I looked into the next step and was quick to find out PrestoSports has a QR Code generator through their website. Score!

Now the biggest thing is getting it out there. First step is writing the press release that says we are going in this direction then sending it out to our fans (aka staff, faculty and students) as well as their parents. Of course we can't cut off our poor elderly fans who still thinks a Blackberry is a fruit known for their antioxidants. The aim is to phase out the paper programs so that in the future all we have is a big sign with a QR Code on it that everyone scans when they walk in the door.

(To go back to my poli. sci. days this would be known as the "Goal Oriented Incremental Model". The long term goal is getting rid of the paper programs and generate more traffic to the website in hope for a website re-design. I know that will probably never happen but that's why it's the "Goal Oriented Incremental Model." Thanks Dr. Neal!)

I'm super pumped and ready to tackle this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment