Sunday, January 20, 2019

Book of the Week: "13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do" by Amy Morin

A few years ago I watched Amy Morin's TedTalk on YouTube, then one day late in the summer or early fall I stumbled across her book in Harvard COOP. I've always enjoyed watching self-help videos so I picked up this book. And boy is it an eye opener!

As she talks about in her TedTalk, Amy had rough life. Not only did she lose her mother at the age of 23, but her first husband passed away unexpectedly of heart attack after they were married less than five years. She could of easily rolled herself up into a ball and cry out "why me?" But she didn't.

I don't believe there is one person on this planet who doesn't do ALL 13 things she says the mentally strong don't do. We all fall victim to one of the things at any given moment, the key is knowing when that moment arrives and telling yourself "not helping."

The point that really resonated with me and made the biggest impact was, mentally strong people don't give away their power. At some point in our lives we all had to deal with tough people, maybe it was a boss or a co-worker we didn't like or they were doing something that we didn't like. Instead of getting frustrated with that person over what it was they were doing that was upsetting us, it was better to do one of two things: 1. if we could control it, say something or 2. if we had no control, be like Elsa and "Let It Go!"

The last thing Amy mentions mentally strong people don't do really resonated with me as well. It is not expecting immediate results. I've never been the person that cared for instant gratification, which is why I, personally, don't like social media. I really don't care what a friend's eating for dinner or that they found a $20 on the sidewalk (that's great but I don't need see a picture of it on Instagram). I'm a person that likes the process and journey it takes to get to the destination. When I finally get to where I'm going, I'm kinda already bored with it. It's about the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment