Sunday, March 17, 2019

Book of the Week: "Works Well With Others" by Ross McCammon

The title of this book drew me too it. How could it it not? We've all see the phrase "Works Well With Others" on our report cards and progress reports throughout our grammar school years, so when I saw it on a book, it made me laugh. Actually come to think of it, there were a lot of "laugh out loud" moments throughout the entire book.

LOL Moment No. 1: The Elevator Conversation
The elevator is not just a device to get people from one floor to the next, but as Ross McCammon describes "it's a prison of opportunity." It's a time to engage in conversation with whoever is on the elevator. For me, however, this chapter made me laugh. Why? I know a lot about elevators because of my family, so the elevator does become a conversation starter. Bringing up interesting factoids of these strange people-movers. Now the people I may be talking to may find it cool or just think I'm weird - which I am - but do I look like I care? 

LOL Moment No. 2: The Firm Handshake
Of course when you shake someone's hand, it has to be firm, but that's not what made me laugh. It makes me think of Jess' handshake. To say her handshake is firm would be an understatement. I had already worked for her on part-time basis her first year at Newbury, so I already had good grasp on her management style - and handshake I might add. When she promoted me to Director of Sports Information and made me full-time (on June 15, 2011) the first thing that went through my head was not "oh this is awesome!" No it was, "do we have to shake on this?" At that moment I was not prepared to break six bones in my right hand. 

LOL Moment No. 3: Talking To "Important" People 
Really? Speaking with important or famous people doesn't bother me. I really have no problem talking with Coach Jerry York in OUR Dunkin' Donuts or approaching Tommy Amaker following an all staff meeting the week of the Senior Letterwinners Dinner last May. If I have something to talk with them about, I will bring it up. With Coach York it's golf; with Coach Amaker it was a mutual friend of ours. It's easy stuff! 

LOL Moment No. 4: Sending A Proper E-Mail
Nothing bothers me more than when people send me an email with long prose and bury what they need in the second, third or fourth sentence. Thanks for checking it and asking how my weekend was, but seriously just get to the point - what do you want? Quick hitters is always better. Save the flowery praise for in person meetings. Much better time.

LOL Moment No. 5: Forgetting Embarrassing Moments 
It's really not a "laugh out loud moment" meant to be funny, but more in a way that can be connected to Michael Singer's "The Untethered Soul." As humans, we tend to dwell on negative situations more frequently than the positive and as McCammon says it's because the negative have more of chance to be "sticky." This is analogous to Singer's mention of samskaras - which are mental impressions on our past actions. When we close ourselves these samskaras create blockages that emotionally drain us, but when we are open and let the energy flow through we are able to remain upbeat and positive.

We, as humans, have to learn to be like Elsa from Frozen and "let it go." Maybe I was on to something when I played this song on repeat while inputting FOUR .... yes FOUR -- baseball games from a weekend series up at UMPI, where stats were not done. I had to do something to "let it go" and this was it.

Now if you really want to re-live the song, it's below. LET IT GO!!!




LOL Moment No. 6: Keep Improving, Keep Pushing Forward
Once again this is not really a "haha" laugh out loud moment, but more of a realization LOL moment. There are times in your life that you will feel less than adequate. There is always going to be someone better or someone that can do way cooler things than you, but that doesn't mean you should give up. When we have feelings of delusions of adequacy (great name for a band, by the way), it only forces us to do our best work. Prepare more, research the answer the answer to a problem that you wouldn't ordinarily do if you were confident going it, basically "FITFO" - figure it the f*ck out! It's really why I enjoyed my time at Harvard. I knew I was just as talented and could do the work that everyone else was doing, but that little feeling that "maybe I just wasn't good enough" or "I really sucked with that video," made me try harder the next time. Being surrounded by literal, experts in their fields can do that for you.

1 comment: