Saturday, March 9, 2019

Video of the Day: A Story That Needs To Be Shared


Worst Break Up Story
Mitch Manly

A lot can be taken from the stories of Ben and Jeff, not just relationship advice but ways to handle your professional relationships. The same thing happened to the both of them, the two were upset and angry at the situation and their ex-girlfriend, but each handled it completely different. 

Ben was was incredibly heartbroken and everything around him was falling a part. He was doing worse at work, he stopped exercising and he stopped talking to his friends and family. It drove him further down. However, Jeff took the opposite approach. 

He was still incredibly hurt, but he did something different. He looked inward and faced what was bothering him. After calling his ex-girlfriend, he made it his prerogative to become a more attractive man and person people wanted to be around. He continued to exercise, started eating better, re-gain focus on his job, and look for a side hustle. 

When he was with his girlfriend, he fell into a life of comfort. But when she was gone, he was able to work on himself more which eventually led to his one-time side-hustle flourish into a successful business, allowing him to quit his full-time job. 

It's not hard to draw parallels. Since leaving Newbury in 2016, I have seen exponential growth in myself. Not only did had have the opportunity to work with and meet countless other tremendous communications professionals working freelance in the fall of 2016, but I had the chance to work an outstanding staff for the spring semester of 2017 at Lesley. Not only did I continued to build my skills, but I also climbed the income ladder. 

Why my time at Lesley was short, it opened the door for a new opportunity: getting a call from Harvard in August, 2017. I was only supposed to be at Harvard for two months, but they kept extending my term contract. It allowed me to continue honing my current skills, while learning new ones and being around some truly exceptional people who are legitimately EXPERTS in their fields. (Also it didn't hurt covering three Ivy League Championship Programs! Men's and women's swimming and diving AND softball!! #GoCrimson!!) 

Experiencing all this made me and being around so many inspirational people made me want to do more and continue to grow. That's why I began the video series with Watertown Recreation. What started as only weekly highlights for the prestigious summer basketball league turned to doing more multimedia features for some of the department's other programs. And it truly was a success. Residents and families loved the videos. So I'm going to keep giving them more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment