Sunday, December 29, 2019

BOOK OF THE WEEK: "The Energy Bus" by Jon Gordon

Everything happens for a reason. 

This is what the bus driver, Joy, tells a dejected, down-and-out George when he is forced to take the bus after a flat tire renders him car-less for two weeks. It's on this journey, George finds a way to inspire his team at work, save his job and re-build a failing marriage. 

There are many takeaways from this book, but the one I want to focus on is "everything happens for a reason." When George found he had a flat tire he was visibly upset at the situation, and also at himself for not having a flat. Things didn't get much better for him when he found out he had to take the bus and the bus that pulled up, No. 11, the driver's name was Joy and she greeted him with a smile. 

It the midst of everything that's going on his life, he couldn't comprehend why he should be smiling, she clearly has no knowledge of what he was going through. This feeling is not uncommon. When everything seems to not be going our way, we have every right to be upset, but letting it manifest into all the other aspects does not help. This is easier said than done. 

I posted this story on my Facebook a month ago when I was at Johnson & Wales. It was the night of the conference first round women's volleyball match, the top-seeded Johnson & Wales knocked off eight-seed Lasell in three sets. For those of you who aren't aware, JWU is nationally-ranked in women's volleyball so they were expected to win. But the story isn't over. 

I watched the end of the women's soccer semifinal game - also against Lasell and also another win - before I start on writing the volleyball recap. The last 12 months probably haven't been the most ideal for me, a lot of ups and downs, lessons learned, but I just kept going. Still thinking about things, I finish my recap and start out and home. 

I go out to the parking out, open the door and step into my car. I put the key in the ignition and turn it, but the car won't start. I think to myself "great like I need more stress added to my plate." 

After attempt to call Triple A and unable to get through, I remembered I can call Subaru's road side assistance and call that number. After going through all the gyrations of "push this button," "say this," I finally get through and they will send somebody out. 

When the guy arrives, I tell him "I don't think it's truly the battery because the lights are on in the car. I think it's the starter." He grimaces, but says "let's give it a try anyway." He puts the jump starter on the car and begins the charge the battery. In that 20 minutes of time, we had a pleasant conversation - mind you in the Johnson & Wales parking lot.)

As soon as everything finishes, he disconnects the starter and cables and begins to pack up. I thank him for coming out and when I ask his name, he says "Sid." How weird is that?

The guy that comes out from Subaru is named "Sid!" What's another name for the athletic communications profession? Sports Information and what is the acronym for the title: "SID." Interesting! And yet very weird. 

The situation I faced was not that all that different than the one presented to George. But the thing to know is the game of life is an infinite game. Every day is something new and we have to live in the moment. 

But that's life. It's important to remember everyone is going through something. The game of life we're playing is an infinite game and it is important to listen to hall of fame hockey coach, Jerry York's 24-hour rule. "If something good or bad happens, you have 24 hours to reflect on it, but then you need to move on. 

This is why Coach York is in the Hockey Hall of Fame in the building category. His entire 45-year coaching career has been built around this motto and teaching his players about living in the moment. 

Justin Foley from "13 Reasons Why" is right, "life is all about making mistakes and cleaning up after them to make them right." 

How do you succeed in the infinite game of life? Just keep playing. 


1 comment: